Waiting For Ava

“But these things I plan won’t happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.” Habakkuk 2:3

Friday, April 10, 2009

Diaper decision done!

We have chosen to go with cloth diapers. It will shock alot of people because it will certainly be more work than disposables but cloth diapers certainly aren't what they used to be.

I am truly not the most environmentally aware person but a disposable diaper takes 500 years to degrade! That means that every disposable diaper ever used is still in a landfill and will be there for more than 400 years more!
Now we are not saying we will never use disposable. We will have to use disposables while in China. Dealing with the cloth in a hotel would pose a big challenge. And I am sure there will be a few other times that we will find disposables will be more convenient but we are committed to the cloth for the majority of the time she is in diapers. We have heard that potty training is faster in cloth. We will see.

So this is the diaper we have decided to use. It is a one size cloth diaper so it adjusts from small to large so that we will not have to purchase anymore sizes as Ava grows.

These diapers are about $25.00 a diaper and we will probably need around 24 to have a good supply for rotation. We have purchased 12 so far from http://www.parentingbynature.com/.
It seems expensive but it ends up to be much cheaper over the course of time Ava will be in diapers. They say that as an average a baby will use over $2000.00 in diapers.
Something else we will definitely be ordering is a diaper sprayer.
It hooks into your toilet water supply and when you have a poopy diaper. You take the dirty diaper to the toilet and spray it off into the toilet so it is poop free when you throw it in your diaper pail. They also say it is a great way to spray out the potty when you are training.
We heard about this one from this blog http://kelliinportland.blogspot.com/ and found it in Canada at this site http://go-greenbaby.ca/item_236/bumGenius-Diaper-Sprayer.htm.
Never in a million years would I have thought I'd be excited about diapers but we should get them Mon or Tues. It will be fun to open up the package of soft and colorful diapers.
We will post a picture when we get them!

4 Comments:

  • At 12:48 PM , Blogger Kelli said...

    You can also find them on cotton babies online (www.cottonbabies . com) and I think they are $17.95 each, and $17.45 ea. if you buy more than 6 at a time.
    My cousin reccomended the best night time combo is 1 thick liner + two Hemp liners. I just bought the hemp liners at a local cloth diaper store. I'm switching my night time "combo" to that from now on!
    I have them in every color, and honestly I thought I'd like some white ones to go with "pretty dresses"- but the white ones are my least favorite! the colors are so much fun!
    I'll be keeping an eye on your blog- hope your referral is next month!!!!! I remember this jittery state! It was just a few months ago for me...! Now I have a babbling happy excited 10 1/2 month old! It goes SLOW, but then all of a sudden there you are, a MOMMY. it's crazy wonderful!

     
  • At 2:49 PM , Blogger Red Sand said...

    Glad to hear we'll be sharing something else - a diaper system. Thanks for the sprayer link - I wasn't sure where to find it.

     
  • At 1:47 AM , Blogger Kelli said...

    Will you send me an email with your email address? Mine is kelliinportland @ yahoo . com
    thanks!

     
  • At 10:23 PM , Blogger Karen and Jon said...

    Thanks for the info on the sprayer. Another 3/14er here that is leaning towards the bum genius. We are sooooo close.
    Karen (jandk on RQ)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Load Counter