Waiting For Ava

“But these things I plan won’t happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.” Habakkuk 2:3

Friday, February 15, 2008

A Delightful Meeting and Conversation

I met someone at work last night by the name of Haitao. I found out through our conversation that he is Chinese. He immigrated to Canada roughly ten years ago. We first started talking about the fact that he works a two shift rotation and that I work the three shift rotation. I asked him if he had any children and he replied with a yes. He currently has two. He asked me the same question and of course I said no. I did tell him that my wife and I were in the midst of adopting from China. He was very pleased. Haitao asked me what we were naming our daughter. I told him Ava. He got a big smile on his face. I of course asked what was he smiling about. He told me that Ava in the Mandarin language means Lovely Little Baby. At first I was taken back. I actually said are you sure. He wrote the two Mandarin symbols down and they were the same ones that we have painted on her bedroom wall. Haitao told me that the Chinese people are very interested in the meanings of names. He said that your name in China is very important in the society. I was very happy. I actually felt very giddy. Like a little boy. I know it's silly. I would just like to say thanks to Haitao for brightening my day. I very much enjoyed our conversation and hope to talk again some time.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:00 PM , Blogger The luckiest mommy in the world said...

    Isn't it cool taking to Chinese people and learning about the culture. Just wait until you have Ava, you'll be asking him all kinds of questions then.

    I was just having a conversation with a guy in Purchasing (Liang) today about Olivia's province. He moved here about 10 years ago too! The poor bugger has been hearing me ramble about China for 3 years now (he just beams though when I do talk about it)

    Can't wait to see Ava's little face. Do you have any idea of when to expect referral?

    Deb

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Load Counter